Tuesday, August 21, 2012

52 Reasons I Love You

This weekend was my anniversary weekend (1 year..yea!). It was full of surprises and fun! My first surprise arrived Friday at work. My hubby sent me a beautiful bouquet of lilies. For dinner that night he cooked me hamburger stroganoff with garlic bread..YUM! We finished the night with a cute movie, Despicable Me...SUPER CUTE! If you haven't already watched this movie, you totally should (kids or no kids). Then Saturday we left the house by 7am. My hubby already had my bags packed (impressed) and he drove us to our secret location.

We spent all day Saturday at the coast. It was super fun! We got breakfast at a cute little place then walked the beach. Later that night we found an amazing pizza place that served Chicago style pizza (delicious). Then Sunday we played some mini golf and explored the fabulous Tillamook Cheese Factory

Since it is the paper anniversary I decided to make my husband's gift. I just so happened to stumble upon a neat idea last week while browsing Pinterest. It is called 52 Reasons I love You and it even has its own website. It is super easy to make and I found almost all the supplies for it on Amazon



Supplies:
  • scissors
  • hole punch
  • double sided sticky tape or glue
  • deck of cards
  • template (the one I purchased was from Papervine) or make your own template
  • sandpaper 
  • album rings
  • self adhesive jewels
So I purchased a vintage style deck of cards online. Then I roughed 'em up with some sandpaper. 



Next I took my hole punch (hole puncher as I like to call it) and punched two holes on the side and then used that card (joker) as a guide for the rest of cards so that they all lined up.


Then you need a template. I used the one that is available through the 52 Reasons website and Papervine. However, if you can make your own, I would recommend that. I had some issues with the template that I downloaded *(more on that in detail at end of post). 

In the end I had to save the template to a flash drive and then I took that to my local FedEx Office and had them printed there. If you print them at home you will need photo paper. FYI-the photo paper I purchased was $13.00 and I ended up spending $4.00 at FedEx to have them printed. Plus the photo paper I bought was not the right paper for my printer. 

After you have your desired template, you need them printed. Then cut them out and either tape or glue them to the card. I used double sided sticky tape because I am a procrastinator and did not have the time or patience to use glue. I kept all my template cards in numerical order making it really easy to put together in the end. 

Once you have the template cards in place you can add jewels..or not. I used the Queen & Co. Nightfall pearls. I only added them to my first and last card. Then I strung all the cards through the album rings (I used the Kaiser scrapbook rings) and viola. I found both the album rings and self adhesive jewels at my local Craft Warehouse store. 



Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the template before I edited them or cut them up. But they can be viewed on the website. I also downloaded the recommended font. The photos above are of the finished gift for my husband. As you can see, the template size is a little too big.

with love, 
ashley


*And here's my little rant on why I recommend using your own template. Online you can purchase the original template. Which is what I did. It seemed easy to just download it. Once you purchase it, they send you an email with the link to download it. Instructions are included in the download which tell you to unzip the file first and then edit the template. I had no idea what it meant to unzip a file so I watched a youtube video. However, I found out later that the file was already unzipped. 

I also did not have microsoft works or powerpoint so the editing program I had was the basic text edit that comes with the Mac. So I couldn't edit the size of the template boxes and adding text and printing the template ended up being a big headache. Every time I tried printing the template there was an error and the program would close and then I had to edit them all over again. In the end I had to save the template to my computer after adding text. Then I had to add them to a flash drive. I then took it down to my local FedEx Office and had them print out the edited template from my flash drive. 

SO...if you are awesome with a computer and/or you have editing programs that you are familiar with then the said template will probably work great for you. Otherwise, just make your own. 

with (extra) love, 
ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment